An Ode to a Pencil


In English class the other day, we were instructed to write a word on a sticky note and pass the note to the right five times. We had to write an ode to whatever word we ended up. I sat five seats to the right of someone who liked pencils.



An Ode to a Pencil


Pencil, oh Pencil
how special are you?
A graspable magic
you’re wanted,
and needed
and true.
Not lie nor foul could you produce,
pencil, oh pencil
so resilient and sharp.
You are the strings to language’s harp.
Like a wand for words,
DSCF6188.JPG
Great, but I really don't care about pencils,
and you're starting to annoy me.
and a breath for books,
I get such a thrill
when I find you in nooks.
The wings of creativity
are at both your beginning
and end.
Against silly ipads
you’ll surely win.
The life of the party,
the thrill of the novel,
not one thing can die,
you are the revival.
As your embracing
lines cross my fingers and  
palm, pencil, oh pencil,
you are the Bomb!
7 and ¾  wooden inches long,
your magic is made
in your graphite core.
Never in a million years will your flame go out,
pencil, oh pencil
I would surely pout!
Not pens or markers would make my day,
but #2 pencils will pave the way.
On tests and on comics
your imprint is left,
pencil, oh pencil,
DSCF6188.JPG
Ok, You like pencils, now stop.

you’re oh, so divine.
From Krayono to قلم رصاص  
the world shouts your name.
In magic and science,
English and more,
your legacy will continue,
it’s written by your core.
You're rushed to in the night,
by frantic authors and those to be,
without you where would kindergarten,
or the pre-SAT be?
Like the sword from the stone
you were pulled from a tree,
pencil, oh pencil,
the perfect match for me.
I love you, oh pencil, from eraser to tip.
More words come from you
than from the human lip.
Pencil, oh pencil I love you so!
Pencil, oh pencil,
oh pencil.
Pencil.

MayJune2014 028.JPG
She. . .Is . . . DONE!!!














Three Days Later
July 2014 149.JPG
MOOOOOOOMMMMYYYY!
Someone said "pencil"

Comments

  1. Ha, Ha! I love it. You are an excellent writer, Emma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I felt bad for my friend, she had to write a poem about football with absolutely no knowledge of the game.

      Delete

Post a Comment